I wanted to share with all of you an easy recipe to make your own laundry detergent.
Laundry detergent is not only expensive, but if you look at the ingredients you will see how many harsh and toxic chemicals are listed.
Find out more information on the list of toxins here:
After researching online I realized how easy it was to make homemade laundry detergent. I chose to make a simple powder version consisting of:
- Fels-Naptha Bar Soap ( You could also use Zote, Ivory, or Castile bar soap)
- Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
I was able to find all of the ingredients I needed at the grocery store for less than $15.00
The recipe is simple:
- Get out your blender, food processor, or Ninja.
- Add 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup Super Washing Soda (it is important to add these ingredients first so the bar soap doesn’t stick to the blades)
- Cut up one bar of Fels-Naptha and add to blender
Blend the ingredients together until they become a fine powder. Take your time to pulse the ingredients so you don’t over heat your blender. The ingredients will more effective the finer they are ground.
I made two batches that filled about a six quart jar.
You only need to use 1 – 2 tablespoons depending on how big of a load you are washing. I am guessing that this jar will last a long time and I still have enough ingredients left to make several more batches.
So far this homemade detergent is working great!
It costs a fraction of the price and I feel so much better knowing that I am using natural ingredients to clean our clothes.
Next up, I am going to share with you how to make wool dryer balls to replace dryer sheets!
Enjoy your Sunday : )